Tithe (‘Ushr) is the Zakat on farm produce which is onetenth ofthe crop gathered from land watered naturally. If the irrigationis done by artificial means, the Zakat should be one-twentieth. Crops like wheat, barley, rice, millet, watermelon, cucumber, eggplant, clover, olives, sesame, honey, manna, sugar, cane and fruits are all applicable.Lands in Turkey are tithe lands as they areregistered officially. Muslim land owners wh are engaged in farming should give the tithe(‘ushr) so that their harvest should be lawful by Shari’ah.
DELIVERY of the POOR-DUE (ZAKAT) (MASARIF AL-ZAKAT)
Masarif-i Zakat means the classes of people given Zakat whoare described in the 60th verse of the Surah Al-Tawba in the Holy Qur’an.
- Poor who do not have the nisab (the needy),
- The poor, who have nothing in life (the indigent),
- The collectors of Zakat,
- Those whose hearts should become more sympathetic to Islam by recieving Zakat(Mu’allafah al-Qulub),
- The free or ransom slaves,
- Helping debtors who don’t have enough cash or goods to pay their debts,
- People who arein the way of Allah(J.J.),
- Travelers stranded without Money.
Zakat can be given to any of these eight categories numbered above. In fact, the most virtuous people to be given Zakat are the poor with nothing in life and those who are striving in the cause of Allah.